Tuesday 1 November 2011

The Proclaimers

I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more...

I remember watching Forrest Gump many years ago who, on a whim, ran for over three years coast to coast across America. He ran  not because he should, but simply because he could.

Like running, walking has a way of taking you over so that as one foot follows the other over and over again in a zen-like trance you cover further and further distances often without even noticing.

More and more we as tread the pavement, it is in the journey that we are finding the true joy. The sound of early morning bird-calls, the feeling of the day starting on a note that can only go from good to great. The feeling of the muscles firming, the feet strengthening. The simple pleasure of being outside, at one with the elements, whatever they may be.

Even more satisfying are the friends and family who who join us along the way. Like Cathy and Geoff who were just going for a short stroll across a bridge or two  and ended up still with us 20km later. Or Milo determined to come across all the bridges with us next year. And Joel boasting to his fb friends about our walk and the big one yet to come.

Like Forrest, I am beginning to believe that life is really like a box of chocolates ... you may never know what you are going to get. Luckily for me I like all types of chocolate ;-).

And scarily, as we wander further and further afield, I begin to wonder if the day will come when my feet take me clear across the continent and beyond, all on a magical journey that has no starting point and no defined end.

No comments:

Post a Comment